Popular in Japan and China for thousands of years, Green tea (Camellia sinensis) is a rich source of beneficial antioxidants, powerful compounds that help protect us from damaging free-radicals. These byproducts of oxygen metabolism cause damage to the cells in our bodies, and are a major contributing factor to the aging process and chronic disease.
The most abundant and scientifically reviewed of Green tea’s antioxidants is one called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). Catechins such as EGCG are 40 to 200 times more powerful as antioxidants than vitamins A, C, or E!
Green tea’s many benefits include:
• supporting healthy cholesterol levels to improve cardiovascular health
• supporting healthy blood glucose levels
• improving metabolism and fat-burning (thermogenic effect)
• normalizing cell growth and division (may help protect against cancer)
• improving cognition and providing a calming effect
Green tea also contains l-theanine, a calming and relaxing compound that is able to cross the blood-brain barrier and exert an effect directly in the central nervous system (brain), much like a neurotransmitter. It has been shown to reduce mental and physical stress, and works in a synergistic fashion with caffeine to improve cognition and mood.
Available as a convenient, concentrated liquid extract from Natural Wellbeing – great added to your own cup of brewed Green tea for an extra boost of goodness!