Hard To Swallow – When Capsules Taste Toxic, What Am I Tasting?
I’m on Day 10 of my cleanse. I am super sensitive. Highly, incredibly sensitive, to everything! And this morning when I took my Hair Essentials capsules (I’m growing out my hair, review to come, I’m practically sitting on my hair now, super excited) I had a really tough time getting them down – all of a sudden they tasted terrible. In fact, they tasted like a big, poisonous chemical, all bleached out and pesticidy. Heinous!
It’s not uncommon for pills and capsules to be bitter pills to swallow: often times they are over-sized, or coated with yucky tasting chemicals. Not mine! My capsules have no chemicals in them, so why even in my over-sensitive state did my vegetarian, non-toxic capsules taste so nasty? The taste was almost gross enough for me to put the kibosh on reaching for mermaidian hair lengths. Gasp!
Immediately my first thought was that my capsules had been tainted with a certain chemical, so I put in a call to the manufacturer, AZ Naturals. I was relieved to hear that the manufacturing facility, located in Arizona, not only had strict manufacturing policies but diligent testing capabilities:
- ATP Screening
- Total Plate Count Testing
- Lactic Acid Bacteria Testing
- Mold & Yeast Testing
- E. coli / coliform Testing
- Staph. aureus Testing
- Salmonella Testing
- Foreign Organic/Inorganic Matter
- Organoleptic ID Testing
- Infrared Spectroscopy (Mid-FTIR and Near-FTIR)
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
- Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (UPLC-MS)
- Thin Layer Chromatography (TLC)
- High Performance Thin Layer
- Chromatography (HPTLC)
- Botanical Microscopy
- Atomic Absorption (AA)
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS)
- Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS)
- Ultraviolet-Visible Spectroscopy (UV-Vis)
- Pulsed Photo Stimulated Luminescence – PPSL
- Moisture Testing
- Potency Testing
- Stability Studies
- USP Tablet Disintegration, Friability, and Hardness Testing Methods.
I was advised that my vegetarian capsule consists of cellulose, rice flour, magnesium stearate and silicon dioxide – bland enough! Conclusion: capsule not the culprit.
Instead, it turns out that the capsules work the same way tofu does: picking up the blended ingredients and taking on the taste. I was simply tasting the herbal blend. Phew! No longer Ew.
I shall continue to take my fabulous lengthening, miracle working pills. And soon, very soon, I will share with you the results – at great lengths!
Photo Credit: draconianrain