Curly Hair? Spring Healthy Hair Year-Round, with these 5 Tips
Spring healthy new hair growth—and luscious locks, year-round—with these 5 tips!
1. Keep the bounce in your step, and in your curls, with a balanced diet that includes hair-healthy nutrients such as protein, essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Also minimize sugars and avoid unhealthy fats, as these cause inflammation in the body, including the hair follicles. Staying adequately hydrated will help your hair follicles process nutrients and wastes more thoroughly.
2. Chlorine and hard minerals in tap water can build up on your hair, leaving your curls flat and lifeless. Using a water filter in your shower removes impurities and helps keep your hair feeling soft and looking lustrous.
3. Try shampooing every-other-day, rather than every day. Detergents in shampoos can easily strip your hair of its natural, protective oils. And, if you blow dry your hair, keep the heat setting on low, and the nozzle at least 6 to 8 inches from your scalp.
4. Indulge your scalp and hair with a weekly exotic hot oil treatment. Coconut oil, Moroccan argan oil, and African shea butter are rich, natural moisturizers that protect hair follicles from oxidative damage and environmental stress. They also smooth down the hair cuticle so that it lays flatter, giving hair a glossy sheen. Massaging your scalp before showering exfoliates old cells and moves waste-byproducts out to the surface for removal. It also invigorates your scalp with fresh, oxygen-rich blood and nutrients.
5. Keep your curls coiffed, with pure jojoba oil. Place a few drops of jojoba oil into the palm of one hand; rub your palms briskly together and then lightly smooth them over the surface of your hair. For a little extra ‘scentsational’ pleasure, try adding a drop or two of your favorite essential oil, such as sandalwood, to the jojoba oil before applying. Your hair acts as a natural ‘fixative’ to maintain the scent throughout the day.