Natural Treatments For The Flu
Veterinarian Reviewed on January 9, 2012 by Paulina Nelega, RH
Posted in Uncategorized
Natural Treatments for the Flu
Influenza or flu is caused by the RNA virus infecting not only humans but also birds, smaller mammals and many other types of animals. A virus that has Ribonucleic Acid that comprises its genomic makeup, is said to be a RNA virus. The flu may last for one to two weeks in a healthy individual, but if a person has a weak immune system, it may cause serious complications such as upper respiratory infections, bronchitis and many other illnesses.
The flu may have different viral strains and this is the main reason why there seems to be a pandemic of this particular illness year after year. The worst ever recorded death toll because of the flu virus was in 1918 when 40 – 100 million people died worldwide.
With this predicament, everyone is encouraged to practice correct hygiene and to always make sure that they wash their hands properly to reduce the unknowingly spreading the flu. Most people in the United States protects themselves from getting sick with the flu during the flu season by choosing to have a flu vaccine to reduce serious complications and decrease flu morbidity rate.
Causes of the Flu
Influenza A, B and C viruses cause influenza. The A and B types are responsible for epidemics that occur during the cold winter months every year; while influenza C causes a mild flu-like illness that may have little to no symptoms at all. However, the influenza virus may change or mutate over a period of time; this makes the virus easily invade the systems of multiple hosts.
Symptoms of the Flu
Common symptoms of influenza are:
1. Fever that is from 100 to 103 degrees Fahrenheit in adults and may be slightly higher in children.
2. Upper respiratory symptoms like coughs, Colds, sore throat and a clogged nose.
3. Generalized weakness and pains described as muscle aches.
4. The may be episodes of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Healthy individuals who have the flu may recover within one to two weeks with hardly any complications at all. In people with weakened or suppressed immune systems however, the flu may progress to serious conditions like bronchitis and severe respiratory infections.
Treatments for the Flu
The best remedy for the flu is prevention so it is recommended to get annual flu shots to reduce the risk of getting sick during the flu season. Other suggestions would be to follow Natural Treatments For Colds and flu:
1. Taking vitamin C supplements and eating foods rich in vitamin C may help boost the immune system while you have the flu. Take vitamin C capsules or a double serving of your favorite citrus fruits as soon as you develop symptoms.
2. Garlic is known to have antiviral and antipyretic properties that can reduce fever and lessen the time infected with the influenza virus. Chew garlic or include a huge helping in soups and various recipes.
3. Honey and lemon tea can reduce colds, reduce sore throat and improve breathing due to flu. Prepare a warm cup to take before you sleep or as often as you need to reduce flu symptoms.
4. Zinc lozenges boosts immune system health and colloidal silver preparations on the other hand are known to kill the flu virus.
Paulina Nelega, RH, has been in private practice as a Clinical Herbalist for over 15 years. She has developed and taught courses in herbal medicine, and her articles on health have appeared in numerous publications. She is very passionate about the healing power of nature. Ask Dr. Jan