Natural Treatments for Anxiety
Veterinarian Reviewed on January 14, 2012 by Paulina Nelega, RH
Posted in Uncategorized
Natural Treatments for Anxiety
Anxiety is described as a state wherein a person worries a lot over everything. There is a generalized fear to do activities and to explore new activities as well. Anxiety is considered the most common mental illness in the United States. Everyone, even children, can develop anxiety in some point in time but if this is left untreated, can cause serious physical complications.
Anxiety can also be described as feeling worried, uptight, fearful or listless. This condition is treatable and preventable with the right techniques and follow up with a medical professional. A person with anxiety must never be overlooked; there are serious complications like depression and suicidal tendencies that can result to chronic feelings of anxiety.
Causes of Anxiety
The cause of anxiety can be different from one person to another. Substance abuse, medical conditions, unresolved stress, environmental problems, psychological problems and emotional concerns can all result to feelings of anxiety.
Symptoms of Anxiety
- Physical symptoms – there is increased blood pressure, increased respiration and elevated pulse in a person with anxiety. He may also experience chills, cold skin, profuse sweating, cold palms, difficulty in breathing, palpitations, indescribable weakness, muscle pains, fine facial muscle twitching, flushed face, tightness on the chest area, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, hyperacidity, ulcers, frequency in urination and many other symptoms.
- Emotional effects – there is increase fear over activities that demand emotional involvement as evidenced by lack of trust, restlessness, inability to make decisions, inability to hold on to current personal relationships and inability to move one after the loss of a loved one. An anxious person may be seen crying or stressing most of the time over trivial matters.
- Psychological effects – there is fear, restlessness, irritability, depression which may lead to suicidal tendencies and may even cause psychiatric symptoms like hallucinations and paranoia.
Natural Treatments of Anxiety
Natural or alternative treatments of anxiety are ideal to reduce the risk of side effects with the use of anti anxiety medications. There is also a decreased possibility of dependence when these methods are used.
- Meditation and yoga – is perfect in channeling all excess energy in a low-impact exercise routine. To use for therapeutic purposes, yoga involves the healing life energy to be absorbed into the body through the breath to treat a variety of health conditions and complaints.
- Relaxation techniques – simple strategies like a warm bath, aromatherapy, stress reduction techniques using massage, scented candles and aromatic oils can significantly reduce stress and anxiety.
- Herbal teas – teas made of herbs like chamomile, green tea and valerian tea can reduce stress, induce calmness and may also be effective in inducing sleep. Take a cup of warm tea an hour before sleeping each night to achieve its therapeutic effect.
- Herbal supplements – there are several known herbs which have properties that can reduce anxiety naturally. Try passion flower, valerian root, St. John’s wort and catnip that can significantly reduce anxiety. You may take these as sleep supplements each night or as directed by your doctor.
Paulina Nelega, RH, has been in private practice as a Clinical Herbalist for over 15 years. She has developed and taught courses in herbal medicine, and her articles on health have appeared in numerous publications. She is very passionate about the healing power of nature. Ask Dr. Jan