Examples of Fever Reducing Herbs
Veterinarian Reviewed on March 24, 2012 by Paulina Nelega, RH
Posted in Uncategorized
Fever is a natural response of the body to infection and inflammation. Fever, together with pain, swelling and redness are the body’s inflammatory responses. Experts believe that fever is a positive response but high fevers of course need to be treated right away.
There are fever reducing herbs that are known to effectively reduce fever and other signs of inflammation. Using herbal remedies for different types of ailments has been known to be safe, natural and does not have any significant side effects compared to using medications. If you want to try fever reducing herbs on the other hand, talk to your doctor first especially when you have a current health condition that may adversely react with these natural remedies.
- Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) is one of the most common fever reducing herbs used. On its own, it can promote perspiration, reduce fever and eliminate toxins in the body. When combined with other herbs like elder flower, peppermint, cavenne and ginger, the yarrow can induce sweating and can reduce even very high fevers.
- Peppermint (Mentha piperita) can reduce high fevers and have other properties that can be very useful. It can treat gastrointestinal disorders; helps reduce anxiety and induce sleep or relaxation. The peppermint may be used on its own but it is commonly used with other fever reducing herbs like yarrow and elder flowers.
- Ginger (Zingiber officinale) or the ginger root is also a very useful herb that promotes perspiration reducing very high fevers. It can stimulate peripheral circulation and can be used together with other herbs to reduce fever and pain.
- Meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria) is one of the most popular treatments for fever and pain of rheumatism. It is less common than the willow bark but it is gentler than using aspirin. Meadowsweet may be a popular antipyretic but it is also used for many types of digestive illnesses such as abdominal pain, indigestion and bloating.
- Black Elder (Sambucus nigra) is one of the most natural treatments for colds and flu. The flowers of the black elder can eliminate toxins in the blood, promote sweating and decrease inflammation of the mucus membranes of the nose and the throat. Tinctures and teas made from the black elder are known to reduce very high fevers in children through relaxing capillaries and opening skin pores.
- Echinacea (Echinacea purpurea, Echinacea pallida) is also a common fever reducing herb that is used for acute infections with fever. Echinacea has natural properties like anti viral, antimicrobial and immune system stimulant which may ultimately reduce fever, inflammation and pain.
- White Willow (Salix alba) may be used as teas made from its bark to reduce high fever and pain. It has a natural compound known as salicin that is converted to aspirin which is known to treat fever in children and adults. Other better tasting herbs like cinnamon, chamomile, peppermint and ginger may help disguise the bitter taste of white willow especially when it is given to children for fever and pain.
Paulina Nelega, RH, has been in private practice as a Clinical Herbalist for over 15 years. She has developed and taught courses in herbal medicine, and her articles on health have appeared in numerous publications. She is very passionate about the healing power of nature. Ask Dr. Jan