How to Grow Hair Faster
Veterinarian Reviewed on May 19, 2012 by Paulina Nelega, RH
Posted in Uncategorized
How to Grow Hair Faster
Hair is indeed a person’s crowning glory; if you disagree, then can you imagine yourself without hair? Hair is made up of strong layers of protein called keratin. This protein is similar to the structure of nails and the outermost layer of the skin.
The hair growth cycle is composed of three amazing phases of growth, the anagen or the growth phase, catagen of transitional phase and telogen or resting phase. Each strand of hair passes through these three phases independently from all the other hairs.
Causes of Hair Loss
On average, a person loses 50 to 100 strands of hair in a day. Losing more hair than the average can signal hair loss. There are several reasons why a person experiences hair loss:
- There are drugs that can cause hair loss: isotretinoin, drugs that lower lipids, blood thinning drugs, ACE inhibitors to decrease blood pressure, anti thyroid drugs, drugs to control epilepsy, drugs to treat gout and mood stabilizers.
- Genetics also play a huge role in hair loss especially in men.
- As a person ages, hair loss increases. It is estimated that by 35 years old, 45% of men will have noticeable hair loss.
- Mineral deficiency like iron deficiency can also result to hair loss.
- Childbirth and pregnancy can also cause temporary hair loss in women.
- Testosterone is indirectly a cause of hair loss in men. There are noticeable skin changes in the scalp that leads to hair loss resulting from an increased testosterone levels.
Treatments of Hair Loss
How to grow hair faster is one of the most asked questions from men who suffer from male pattern baldness and from women who experience premature hair loss and thinning hair. Here are some ways to make hair grow faster than ever:
- Keep hair healthy and in tip top shape to encourage hair to grow. Visit your stylist at least once every three to four months to remove split ends and for a hair cut to maintain healthy new hair.
- A brush or a comb with wider and sturdier teeth can improve the health of your scalp making hair grow faster and more beautiful. The most effective way to brush or comb your hair is to tilt your head forward to bring natural oil to the ends of hair. This will stimulate the scalp and improve hair growth.
- Washing hair everyday can significantly dry your hair and scalp out. Opt to wash hair every other day to allow scalp’s natural oils to condition hair.
- Be gentle to your hair, reduce hair treatments like color, perming, rebonding and heat treatments to make hair stronger and grow faster.
- Massaging your scalp as you shampoo your hair can help it grow faster. Massage increases blood flow in the scalp area that stimulates hair growth.
- Keep healthy by sticking to a nutritious diet and increase water intake as well. With a healthy body, you can also maintain the beauty of your hair and make it grow faster than ever.
Paulina Nelega, RH, has been in private practice as a Clinical Herbalist for over 15 years. She has developed and taught courses in herbal medicine, and her articles on health have appeared in numerous publications. She is very passionate about the healing power of nature. Ask Dr. Jan